This post appears as part of Photographer's Month.
So you stood outside in the scorching sun (for what feels like eternity), dealt with the fussy mother-of-the-bride, and you're finally done the photo shoot. Now it's back to business and it's time for you to get paid. Wave allows you to invoice clients quickly and painlessly. Here’s how to do it:
1. Under your Photography Business tab, not Personal, click on Income. Choose Create Invoice.
2. Choose a Customer Name from the drop-down menu. You can also Create a new customer if need to.
3. Next, fill in the invoice details:
• (Optional) You can share a note with your customer -- anything from a "thanks for your business" message to a reminder about what the invoice includes.
• Choose the Product you're dealing with, or Add a new Product. You can have several products in one invoice. At the end of the year, you can see how much you earned per product from all your clients.
• Enter the quantity, and price, and taxes. (Price will fill in automatically if you've already specified it in the Product.) Wave will do the math and put things in the right place, both here on the invoice and in the accounting categories where they matter.
4. After you have filled out the information, you can then choose one of the following options:
• Save: This saves the invoice as a Draft. If you come back to this screen again, you'll be able to download a PDF (for printing or sending); email your customer; add a payment; or change the status from Draft to Sent.
• Save and Send: This saves your invoice, and opens a window from which you can write an email to your customer. The recipient gets a notification with a link to view the invoice online.
• Save and Create New: Saves the invoice as a Draft, and opens a fresh blank invoice screen. This is useful if you're setting up multiple invoices at a time.
Wave keeps track of the status of each invoice.
5. Tada! You’re done. Here's what your client will see.
When you send them an email, they'll get a notification like this:
When they click the link, they see a web page like this:
And you can create a PDF of the invoice. Here's how that looks:
Learn more about invoice customization such as adding a company logo.
Need help for your photography business? Wave is free, online accounting for photographers and small businesses.