This week in our Photographer’s Month series, we'll focus on how to run a successful photography business.
Roy Barker is a professional photographer and blogger. His website, Photography-Business-Tips.com offers lots of advice on improving your business.
Here are 5 of my favourite tips from his article, 30 Tips for a Successful Photography Business.
- Where to do background research. Prime locations for business tips for photographers include: Professional Photographer, Camera Arts, Photo District News, Black Star Rising, and Photoshelter.
- Create a great portfolio. Showcase your best pieces, especially spontaneous photos. You want to impress the client and you only get one chance to do it.
- Buy good photo editing software. The standard is Photoshop CS, but you might also want to look at Photoshop Light room, iPhoto, iView Multimedia, MediaPro, ACDSee, Corel and Picasa.
- Consider selling your work on stock photography sites. These sites bridge the gap between the buyer and photographer. Some examples are PhotoStockPlus.com and Photos.com. Your pictures are managed by the website, giving you more time to focus on taking awesome photos.
- Market yourself! Use Facebook, Twitter, Flikr, Google Adwords, a website, stock photography, or anything to get noticed and promote your business.
Need help for your photography business? Wave is free, online accounting for photographers and small businesses.